Budapest Day 3

Today was not a day packed with activity. Breakfast - this was the sign out front:


We spent most of the morning just hanging out - I needed the rest: We walked 8 miles yesterday, often on cobblestones. We scent time blogging and deciding where to eat lunch. Have I mentioned that food is important to me?

We found a wonderful place up the hill (many stairs) - no reservation, but we were seated in one of their two outdoor bubbles:


Very cozy, and the food was delicious. And this was in the men's room:

We had intended to go to Buda Castle, but it was drizzling and I needed a haircut, so after our very nice lunch, Vicki stayed in our apartment and I went out to Linh Barber Shop. One chair, young owner who spoke no English. He used his phone translator. He asked if I was in a hurry. When I said no, he gave me a great haircut (he was a bit surprised at how short I wanted it.). He gave me a shave and trimmed the eyebrows and ears. And he only charged me about $15. Amazing.

On my return, I stopped in a local grocery for a few items. I love looking at the things sold in other countries. I also passed a local bakery - and quickly did an about face to go in. The lady at the counter said everything was made by her husband who was a few feet in back in the work area. I grabbed a couple of several items, and headed back. Yum.

It being more than 20 minutes since our last meal (oh, no!), we picked a nearby place for dinner.  More of a pub atmosphere, but it was good. We people watched, tried some new food, and I tried the locally made brandy, Lanchin, which was more like an eau de vie. It was probably flammable.

That's about everything noteworthy - and some things not noteworthy, but still included. 

~~~

My (Vicki’s) photos:

We went up all of the steps from the very bottom by the river, which you cannot see but is there. 

From our apartment. The beds sucked, but the view was amazing. 

The place where we had dinner had thousands of bills taped up to the bar. One of our tour guides had said that Hungarian currency is very unstable, which is why they cannot adopt the euro, so I am assuming that many of these bills are Hungarian.  I asked our server about it, but while he likely spoke Russian, which was taught in schools until 1990, he did not speak English, which is what younger people now speak. And so the bar bills remain a mystery.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A month abroad

Praha - day 1

Passau