Last day in Paris

I started the day with breakfast - yet another excellent French croissant, a cup of cappuccino, and a piece of quiche. Vicki's quiche is better, but I have yet to have a croissant that is as flaky and buttery as those here. 

That last row on the right was mine.

After some time in the apartment, we headed to lunch at a fondue place. I have loved fondue since the seventies, when my parents had plug-in fondue pot and Germantown had a Melting Pot. We still have a fondue pot; it is rarely used. 



It was wonderful, I got my monthly quota of cheese, and we had some really nice discussions.

On our way back, one of us had to make a pit stop. Paris has very nice rest stops on the sidewalks occasionally - free. And as you can see below, they are self-cleaning between uses. 


Also on our route was a portrait of me. I didn't even know they knew me.


We have ridden the metro several times. It is usually very quick, very punctual, and metro stops are fairly close to wherever you are. It's more expensive than it used to be. One can see all sorts of people on the metro and they are carrying all kinds of things.

(Vicki here. Lemme say this about the metro: It’s dependable for sure, and they have upgraded from the single-use tickets that ended up littering the floors to a card that you pay 2€ for and recharge. Until tonite, I thought that these were a pretty good idea. However, when your card doesn’t work and you put more money on it and it still doesn’t work and then you use your husband’s to recharge, because his worked to get him through, and he and Cody are on the other side of the stiles and then his doesn’t work and then the machine won’t take the 10€ bill and then it does and then his card still doesn’t work and you yell “fuck!” and scare the woman just behind you and then you have to go to the service desk and they tell you to “go go go hurry” through one stile while they are pressing a button, it seems like the idea may not be such a good one.

Back to Dan’s photos.)








 Really? A saddle? 

Quick detour here: Brigitte Bardot died today. Guess whose poster is in our apartment?


Next was a ride on the Seine. More specifically, on a Bateau Mouche. I never knew what that meant. It literally means "fly boats." However, Wikipedia tells me that "the name arose because they were originally manufactured in boatyards situated in the Mouche area of Lyon." 

Lots of photos from the cruise:












 



 
 

Then we set off for Notre Dame. This is a group playing on one of the bridges. 
 

Notre Dame was crowded, but amazing. We were here two weeks before the big fire in 2019, and we added Paris to the itinerary primarily to see her now. And she is beautiful.
 





 










After Notre Dame, we wandered into a nearby neighborhood in search of a wonderful little pastry called a kouignette. I remembered them fondly from our 2019 visit. We found the patisserie - I was a happy camper.
 
What I had not had on this trip was a crepe. So we looked for a restaurant to take care of that. We found one*, but it was not a fresh crepe and the rest of the food was lousy. Cody even waved off one couple who came in. I was proud of him.

*(Me again. We found one, but it was next door to the wrong one which I said was the right one. 

Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe the Metro issue was quick karma.)
 
We were therefore still seeking crepes when we left - and we found them just down the street. 
 

 Delicious!
 
It was time to head home, but on the way we ran into another holiday market. And one stall was selling raclette. For the uninitiated, it involves melting raclette cheese under a heat element, then scraping that cheese onto good french bread. Sometimes there are other accompaniments, but tonight we just went for the plain cheese version. Also delicious!
 


~~~~~

This is Vicki. I don’t have much to add except some photos







Tomorrow, we are off to Iceland, where the high during the four hours of sunlight will be 40° and it will be cloudy, so the chance of seeing Northern Lights is low. 😩

Dan in his happy place… cafè and croissant. What more do you need?



Comments

  1. You have made me very hungary with all the food talk and photos/videos. I had an OWL bakery croissant this morning, but it can't compare to what we had in Frannce. I also notice none of the food preparers were wearing gloves. Definitely less regulations there. I am off to eat some cheese!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your name with your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

A month abroad

Praha - day 1

Passau