Praha - Days 2 & 3

We are still looking for the correct answer to the meaning of the title of the blog. Glenn was close, but.didn't quite hit it. 

On day 2, I got up early and went to a breakfast buffet that was good, but had nothing extremely distinctive. However, after breakfast, I visited the Sex Machines Museum right around the corner. I was alone, because Vicki was not interested at all. It was very interesting, and it showed an "ironic and intelligent path tht allow you to wander between curiosity, history, and the perversion of human sexuality." When it comes to sexual devices, humans are very creative lot. I have not included any photos from the exhibit!

Wandering around, I learned more about the local street markets. This market was formed in 1232:

Later in the day, Vicki and I met a friend who lives nearby in Pilsen, Dr. Gabriela Kleckova, or Gabi as we know her from previous visits in France. We had a wonderful visit. One of these days, she will come to see us in North Carolina, right Gabi? We had dinner in a Thai place and called it a day. 

This tower once guarded an entry into Prague.


It is also worth noting here that we traveled roughly 4600 miles to get here. And yet, just a very short distance from our apartment is the NC State European Center, a permanent study abroad facility. 


Sleeping that night was a bust. So the next morning, we were moving slowly. Our plan was to head toward Prague Castle. So we headed out into the cold and crowds (horrendous crowds - made worse by the tour guides and their large groups) and crossed the Charles Bridge.

 










Once across, there might have been some nice views if it were a clearer day. But it wasn't raining, so I can't complain. 


We walked around the "castle" complex, but it was not a castle in the sense of castles such as we have seen in France and the UK. This castle is the current residence and workplace of the country's President, but dates back to the 9th century. The current complex contains within it a cathedral that is in stark contrast to the surrounding building.

As mentioned, sleep was not something we got much of last night, especially Vicki, so we went back to the apartment, and she crashed. I went back out to see some local art. I first stumbled on a puppet show in one of the markets.

I'm sure there was some moral being passed on, but I couldn't tell you what it was. And I don't take much advice from animals with horns anyway. 

The day's highlight for me was getting to see the Head of Franz Kafka, a large kinetic sculpture intended to represent the internal struggles in the author's mind. It is rather eerie, since it rotates silently for several minutes each hour. 

 
 

 
This creation of David Černý made me interested in finding more of his work, and I did.  This one is entitled H-A-V-E-L and is a collection of bronze letters.
 
 
Below is Butterfly Spitfires 2024 - butterfly wings attached to two WWII planes. At dark, they light up and flap their wings.  


There are many other sculptures, but my feet and fatigue slowed me down. This work of art was also on my way back.

I can't name the artist, and the work is ephemeral, but it is nevertheless noteworthy.
 
My final stop of the afternoon was the Beer Museum. Perhaps it was not as lofty as some other sites, but it is evertheless culturally significant.  Czechs consider Prague the capital of beer. It is a passion, and I was told that everyone drinks beer, and they drink it on every occasion. I saw a lot of it consumed. And I held up my end and drank my share. 
 
~~~~~

Vicki: C'est moi. The highlight of today was a five-hour nap, taken because I woke at midnight and couldn't go back to sleep. I did not feel the least bit guilty, sleeping off time in Prague, because it is *way* too people-y out there. I had no idea that the crowds would be what they are. This must be what the Macy's parade is like in NYC. 

It was so great to see Gabi yestereday. She is a professor in Pilsen, and we met her because her major professor was one of our colleagues/friends at UofMemphis. She is astute and vibrant and fun to be with. We met her at the Grand Café Orient and then went to have a beer. 


Another place that we saw yesterday was where Mozart conducted The Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni, among other operas. 


We also saw the old city gate on our way home last night. 


I mentioned how people-y it is here and I just read that about 2 MILLION people visit Prague in December, mostly to visit the market in the square (really... you should see the swarms of humans). I think that they were all at the market, on the Charles Bridge, or at the Castle today. 

If you can stop long enough (without getting plowed into), you can enjoy the beautiful architecture. It's amazing that neither the Axis powers nor the communists bombed/razed more buildings.
 

This one looks like Wedgewood.


Finally - Tonight, we ate a nice restaurant and were surprised that they had these napkins. They say, "It's tasty here." I mean, it was, but on the napkins? That's a first - at least for me. 
 

Comments

  1. Sorry about sleep issues. I’m with you about the people-y stuff. But, what a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin - I remember the castle being very crowded when we were there. The Cathedral was beautiful inside but also very crowded.
    Dan sure got around to a lot of art.
    Hope you can sleep better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m loving your blog. Im surprised too how crowded it is since its wintertime (technically not yet) but the Christmas emphasis is what brings people in. Happy you got to visit with your friend Gabi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your name with your comment!

Popular posts from this blog

A month abroad

Praha - day 1

Passau