To Triberg
Cody was excited about going to the Black Forest, so we changed our reservations from two nights in Strasbourg to one night there and one night in Triberg. We stopped in Gengenbach, on the advice of a friend from Switzerland, who said that it was a lovely little town. And it was.
The first stop was for Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which Cody was hunting. He found a bakery and we went in. He asked in German for two [he thought] pieces, and the woman - who looked like she was 90 years old - said to come back at 10:30. We were confused, since there was a beautiful cake in the display case, but whatever. On the way to the car, Cody had a sudden thought that perhaps she thought that we wanted two CAKES - and that's apparently what had happened. So that confusion was de-confused, and he and Dan each had a piece of a beautiful cake, which they ate in the car.
(Dan: excuse me? I believe I had help from the back seat!)
Gengenbach was established in the 13th century and has lots of buildings to prove it. There is one of the city gates with its tower, which I think Dan got a photo of, and lots of old houses, like this one.
One of the highlights, of course, was finding THE WORLD'S LARGEST ADVENT CALENDAR.
Of course we had to see it. And of course, I had no gummies.
| Cody & Dan in front of THE WORLD'S LARGEST ADVENT CALENDAR |
This town has transformed their town hall, which they decorate each year to become an advent calendar. I'm not sure what ceremony precedes the opening of each window, but maybe it's done when their Christmas market gets going at 14:00. We missed that. Dammit.
Next, we went to a couple of old castle ruins. I stayed with the car for the first one, since we were not exactly legally parked, but here are photos from the second one, which was Burgruine Hohemgeroldseck. This mountaintop castle was built in the 13th century. It was really foggy, which meant that we didn't have any views, but it made visiting the castle even cooler.
| This is the castle. Just kidding. Not the castle. |
| Dan posing... |
| And again.... |
| Castle entrance |
| This sign has held up well... |
Leaving the castle with an appetite, we went in search of lunch - and we found it. In a cafe, Dan and Cody ordered beers (of course), and I ordered something called a colaweizen, which is half cola, half beer. I'm not a huge beer fan, and this was actually okay. It was reminiscent of a shandy.
I miss Cheerwine, and I even miss being able to drink a lot of water. Here, as in other parts of Europe where we have been, water is more expensive than beer and wine. They haven't caught on to the getting-water-out-of-the-tap idea. I'm hoping that it's not because tap water not potable, because I sure have been drinking it where we have been staying!
Upon arriving in Triberg, we went to the Black Forest museum. There were numerous displays of the traditional dress of the region, the craft work that people did, etc. The characters below (not Cody) are part of a traditional festival that they have here.
It's a beautiful region, although it's been foggy all day and I'm not sure that we've seen the full extent of the beauty. But we will hang in Triberg tomorrow morning TO SEE THE WORLD'S LARGEST CUCKOO CLOCK!!! before heading north a little.
And still no gummies.
Lin -- Vicki, you are hilarious!! Who knew you would find all of this "world's largest stuff" where you were going?! Or did Dan just not warn you --hmmm - something to ponder.
ReplyDeleteI will say Cody just about looks like he belong in that display at the Black Forest museum or whatever that was.
And I am beginning to get the feeling that Dan certainly likes his picture being taken!!!
The foggy pictures were very cool! over them.